Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Oops, I did it again!

O.K. you know that I have said before that I am a Martha Stewart wanna be that usually turns out like Lucy Ricardo.  Well for 20 years I have been trying to emulate a squash casserole dish that is served in my hometown of Magnolia, AR at a wonderful southern cooking cafeteria called Miller's.  I has been my mission.  I have literally dozens of recipe rejects that I have tried and they didn't measure up.  I occasionally return to my hometown and go to this restaurant just to make sure that I can remember the flavors and again attempt it.  By the way the last time I went, I got a meat and 2 veggies platter, both veggies were the squash casserole!  Those people in cafeterias look at you funny when you order 2 of the same vegetables.  What's the deal?  If you get 2 vegetables and I picked 2 vegetables then who cares if they are both the same!Anyway once again I digress.  This past week our daughter, son-in-law, and precious grand-daughter Rosie came for a visit.  Megan brought me some vegetables from her garden.  There was a large grouping of fresh squash so you guessed it; I am back on my mission!  I had found a new recipe that I wanted to try.  I cleaned the squash and started slicing it for cooking.  Well when I got to 2 of the veggies they looked like squash, but when I started slicing them, they smelled like cucumber!  I try to call Megan and Greg and neither are answering.  I could have sworn that she said, "I brought you squash."  I call me sweet friend Cheri who has a wonderful garden and knows everything about that kind of stuff.  I was really expecting her to say, " Lisa you're 49 years old and you can't tell the difference between a squash and a cucumber?"  But of course she was patient with me as always.  She told me that they had come out with so many new varieties of plants that even she couldn't tell me the answer by my description.  So it's time to cook and cook is what I'm going to do.  I prepare the casserole by these new directions with the wishful hope that at last after 20 years this will be THE recipe that tastes like the one at Miller's.  I serve the casserole to my hubby for dinner and we go on and on about how good it is.  At this point I am feeling quite smug with myself and thinking that I can finally erase Miller's squash casserole off of my bucket list.  My daughter THEN returns my call and informs me that half of the squash were cucumbers that looked like squash!  Now who's bright idea was that?  What brilliant vegetable studier said lets come up with a cucumber that looks just like a squash so that when all of those people who have large gardens that are overflowing take their vegetables to friends and relatives that will do something stupid with it like make a squash casserole out of cucumbers!  Oh well all is not lost.  Ben and I decided that if it tasted that fantastic with half of the squash really cucumbers then it is going to be one winner of a squash casserole recipe!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL....Lisa, I was nodding and smiling all the way through your blog...I agree!!!! I have been trying to find the "exact" recipe for Millers Squash Casserole! I have come close through the years and have a close one from a friend in Kentucky and I am willing to share it with you if you would like me to email it?
Keep on blogging girlfriend...YOU make me laugh and realize I am not the Lone Ranger!