Monday, June 21, 2010

Organization!

Things are not always as they appear.  Take my home for instance.  I can't stand clutter so someone might enter my home thinking that I am a very organized person.  They would be highly mistaken! In fact when the kids were growing up all I had to do was just say I was going to get organized and my entire family would fall out in the floor laughing. It isn't that I haven't tried to be organized.  I have spent a great deal of my adult life checking out organization books from the library, making files, and having datebooks with appointments written down all neat and tidy.  More time has been spent however trying to find the library book on getting organized that I lost, forgetting my file system, and randomly marking info down on scratch pieces of paper instead of my datebook only to later say, "What is this piece of paper for?  I don't know.  I'll just trash it."  The worst problem I have with this is when the phone rings and I need to take a message.  Whatever is close by is what I write the info on.  Sometimes it's my palm and I forget that I have written on it until after I have washed my hands.  Other times it's the back of a magazine or on one of the pieces of mail that came that day.  Have you ever been called by some super efficient local government employee and asked if you needed the phone number marked real important on your part of the return payment stub? "Is there a name with that number ma'am?" There isn't because that would require me being too organized, so I just tell her no politely as I don't remember who the person was that called and left the real important number!  It has then become just useless scratching on a piece of paper like all the other useless scratchings that I have in my drawer under the phone.  I have a file system.  I got some of the prettiest little files that you have ever seen and have them all marked with pretty colored tabs in beautiful script handwriting.  Here's the problem with my filing system.  Ben-"Honey have you seen Benjamin's immunization records?"  Me-"Yeah, there in my file system."  Ben-"What do you think you filed it under?" Me-"B for Benjamin."  Ben-"It's not in the B's.  Where else could it be?"  Me-"Try the I's for Immunization."  Ben-"It's not in the I's." Me-"Try R for Records."  Ben- "It's not in the R's!" Me-"I bet I put it in the S's for shots."  Ben-"It's not in the S's!!!"  Me-"I'll come find it"  After I have torn up the entire file drawer, I find it in the K's---for KEEP {IMPORTANT.} My husband does not approve of my filing system!  He is one of those people that is so organized that he makes lists of lists to make!  I worked for him for awhile at his office.  He fired me once a week.  That wouldn't have been too bad except that I only worked for him once a week!  After this went on for about 3 months I decided that it might be better to let our daughter that is just like her dad work for him.  Apparently I'm not the only one in this world that thinks that my brain is logical although no one else does.  My sister is a nurse in Arkansas.  She was with Hospice and each nurse had their own cases that they handled.  "Renee" one of the other girls had to go on medical leave and the other nurses doled out her patients among each other.  They needed to go see Mr. Whatchamacallit and couldn't find his file.  After they spent 20 minutes all trying to guess what letter Renee could have filed it under they finally called her at home to ask her where the file was.  Renee said for them to check the F's.  My sister said, "Neither his first nor last name starts with an F so why would you file him in the F's? Renee said,"When I look at him I think that his eyes look like fishes so it's F for fish eyes!"  From that point on when they needed something in Renee's files they just called her up and asked her where it was.  There is just no use in trying to figure out someone like me and Renee's file system unless of course you think to look first in the last place on earth that you would look and if you looked there first then it wouldn't be the last place you would look then would it?  I mentioned at church one day that I woke up in a different world everyday.  A friend said, "That must be a lot of fun for you!"  I answered, "Yeah, but it's not so fun for those that live with me!  Just to show you how sweet my little hubby is instead of getting mad at my constant "blond moments" he just laughs and says that being married to me has NEVER been boring!

No comments: